Judge Judy is an American arbitration-based reality court show presided over by retired Manhattan Family Court Judge Judith Sheindlin. The show features Sheindlin adjudicating real-life small claims disputes within a simulated courtroom set. All parties involved must sign contracts, agreeing to arbitration under Sheindlin. The series is in first-run syndication and distributed by CBS Television Distribution.
Judge Judy, which premiered on September 16, 1996, reportedly revitalized the court show genre. Only two other arbitration-based reality court shows preceded it, The People’s Court and Jones and Jury. Sheindlin has been credited with introducing the “tough” adjudicating approach into the judicial genre, which has led to several imitators. The two court shows that outnumber Judge Judy’s seasons, The People’s Court and Divorce Court, have both lasted via multiple lives of production and shifting arbiters, making Sheindlin’s span as a television arbiter the longest.
By 2011, Judge Judy had been nominated 14 consecutive years for Daytime Emmy Awards without ever winning. On June 14, 2013, however, Judge Judy won its first Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Legal/Courtroom Program on its 15th nomination. It is the first long-running, highly-rated court show to win an Emmy.
Original titleJudge Judy
First air dateSep. 16, 1996
Last air dateDec. 28, 2016
Seasons and episodes
22Season 22 Dec. 16, 2017
- 22 - 57Episode 57Dec. 21, 2017
- 22 - 84Episode 84Dec. 16, 2017
- 22 - 85Episode 85Dec. 25, 2017
- 22 - 87Episode 87Jan. 06, 2018
- 22 - 89Episode 89Jan. 07, 2018
- 22 - 90Episode 90Jan. 09, 2018
- 22 - 91Episode 91Jan. 10, 2018
- 22 - 92Episode 92Jan. 11, 2018
- 22 - 93Episode 93Jan. 13, 2018
- 22 - 94Episode 94Jan. 13, 2018
- 22 - 95Episode 95Jan. 16, 2018
- 22 - 96Episode 96Jan. 17, 2018
- 22 - 98Episode 98Jan. 19, 2018